Shopping has never been one of my favorite pastimes, but put this girl in a Thai Market and I’m giddy with excitement! I LOVE taking home special pieces and gifts from different parts of the world. A piece of clothing that reminds you of an epic adventure is so much more valuable than trendy clothing at the typical American mall. Also, when you spend time bargaining for something at a foreign market it automatically becomes much more important to you because you earned it.
When I arrived in Thailand I had no idea what sort of things were common at the large street markets. I spent time surveying several different markets before I bought anything so that I could gage what items were commonly sold, which were harder to find, and what the average prices were.
Here is a basic list of common things at the Thai street markets that are great ideas for gifts and keepsakes!
- Thai Pants (keep an eye out for variations on pockets, fabrics, drop crotches, and waistbands)
- Woven Purses and Duffles (great for carrying your purchases on the flight back home)
- Woven Wallets
- Tie Dye Dresses, Tops, and Shorts
- Silk Tablecloths
- Silk Pashminas
- Leather Goods (wallets, keychains, moccasins)
- Thai Patterned Scarves
- Thai Blankets
- Colorful Thai Slipper Boots
- Wall Tapestries
- Thai Pillows (buy unstuffed and then fill at home).
- Strung Lantern Lights
- Bamboo Matts
Ever traveled to Thailand? Share your favorite keepsakes in the comments section below!
P.S. I’ve never met a person that doesn’t love Thai pants. They are an awesome gift for everyone.