It’s always a good idea to create an itinerary before a big trip so that you don’t have to sweat the details while you’re on the road! Doing the research beforehand also ensures that you don’t miss out on the best places to visit during your trip. It’s also a good idea to send a copy of your itinerary to your family or friends if you are traveling solo. These are the plans I made for my recent trip to Thailand and Cambodia. I traveled with a girlfriend for two and a half weeks, making 3 main stops with brief layovers in Bangkok. I wished I had someone else’s itinerary to look at before my trip so that I could get one summed-up perspective instead of reading hundreds of reviews on TripAdvisor. So here’s mine! I hope it’s helpful!
Cambodia & Thailand Travel Itinerary:
- Wednesday Jan 14th – United Flight from SFO-Tokyo.
- Thursday Jan 15th – United Flight from Tokyo to Singapore
- Friday Jan 16th – Jetstar Flight from Singapore to Siem Reap.
- Free Hostel Pick-up from airport and Reseverations at:
Cambodia: (Currency: USD, have 2 passport photos and $30 handy for visa)
- Saturday, Jan 17th – Emma arrives at Palm Garden Villa
- Make travel plans to Bangkok together for the morning of the 20th.
- Sunday Jan 18th – Explore Siem Reap
- Old Market
- Fish Pedicures
- Night Markets and Pub Street
- Monday Jan 19th – Angkor Wat Tour (in reverse order to avoid crowds).
- MUST find Borey the legendary Rock’n’Roll Tuk Tuk Driver for the Angkor Wat Tour
- Tuesday Jan 20th – Travel to Bangkok
- Take 2 hr Taxi to the Border for $30, walk across border, buy bus ticket through Air Aran Pathana at the 7-11 (4 hr bus ride to Bangkok).
Thailand (Currency: Baht)
Helpful travel website: http://thairailways.com/
- Tuesday Jan 20th – Arrive at Penpark Place (next to Khao San road and accessible to river boats and skytrain) http://www.penparkplace.com/acco.htm
- Wednesday Jan 21st – Explore Bangkok:
- River Boat Tour
- Khao San road
- Sri Mariamman Temple
- Be overwhelmed at the malls, MBK // Siam Paragon // Siam Center and more around Siam Square. Often events happening in Siam Square like music, muay thai, dancing, etc.
- Night of Wednesday Jan 21 Sleeper-train to Chang Mai
Chang Mai & Pai:
- Thursday Jan 22nd – Arrive and rent motorbikes. Explore the day and then motor to Pai. (If tired, take the shared shuttle bus).
- Stay at Circus Hostel: http://paicircusschool.com/
- Elephant Nature Preserve
- MUST go to “Edible Jazz Cafe” for evening music
- Stay for 3-5 days then head South to beaches!
Ton Sai & Railey Beach in Krabi Thailand
- Sunday Jan 25 – Arrive at Krabi Airport. Take bus to Ao Nang and catch longtail boat to Ton Sai. (no need to reserve these).
- Stay at Dream Valley Resort and bargain for a deal on the non-air conditioned bungalows in the back of the resort.
- Explore Ton Sai and Railey Beach
- Deep Water Soloing
- Snorkel trips to Phi Phi Island
- At Phra Nang Hike the bamboo ladders inside the caves overlooking Railey West
- Phra Nang Princess Cave (penis cave)
- Rent gear and rock climb
- Thursday Jan 29th – Fly from Krabi to Bangkok on the 29th
Bangkok Round Two Before Departures
- Stay at Udee Bangkok: http://www.udeebangkok.com/
- Visit the famous Buddhas:
- Emerald Buddha at the Grand Palace
- Walk to the Reclining Buddha
- Taxi to the Golden Buddha
- SHOP SHOP SHOP
Christine and Emma depart from DMK airport
Jan 14th-17th Travel
Jan 18th-19th – Temples of Angkor Wat (Siem Reap, Cambodia)
Jan 20th – Travel Bangkok
Jan 21st – Explore Bangkok, Sleeper Train to Chang Mai,
Jan 22nd – Arrive Chang Mai, Evening Travel to Pai
Jan 23rd – Explore Pai
Jan 24th – Explore Pai
Jan 25th – Travel to Krabi
Jan 26th – 29th Explore Krabi
Jan 30th – Shop Bangkok
Jan 31st – Back to America